Wednesday, December 24, 2008

After working through my deep depression about being a senior in college (i thought id be so much more enlightened by now) and an official twenty something (21 is the new 16), i finally decided to carpe diem a little more yada yada yada (youve never heard that before) and aim for a 91 on a test not a 102 (both get you that 4.0 baby) tempered with a more active life existing outside the pages of a book (its not the quality of experience its the quantity). didnt emerson say something about that in an american scholar? now would be an appropriate time for a quote but... i made a 91 on that test.

so here is a list of things i have been doing/found interest in while im not studying:

Twilight- The Book, The Movie, The Concept....
I must have an addictive personality because I am constantly finding new- strange- obsessions. This currently tops my list. Guys, I am an English Major, I take a lot of Film classes, I am a theatre major--- This movie Sucks. The screenplay- atrocious. Then again it comes straight from the book----the most poorly written (slash) structured (slash) portioned book i have ever read (get to the point stephanie meyers- we get it. shes clumsy). But honestly, after a Thoreau overdose and a little too much WB Yeats (the terrible beauty) I could not put it down (literally, i even read it during finals week, hell i read that book in the shower). Needing a little validation for my secretive and embarassing literary interests, I went to my playwriting teacher a man with the countenance and wisdom of professor dumbledore, in fact if he ever grew a three foot beard i would simply cheer. or perhaps like bella swan, just faint. (edward kisses bella: and meyers actually wrote this: "'You....made.....me.....faint.....'" gross me out) Yet i asked him

me: Professor Dumbl---I mean Jones, I need to entrust you with my deepest darkest secret that you in your great playwriting and theatrical wisdom might disect my escapist tendancies for bs pulp fiction when I could be reading FAUST!

Dumbledore- Yesssss

Me- WHY DO I LIKE TWILIGHT. IT SUCKS!

(And though it would be more interesting if he said something like, "well why do you belieeeeeve you like Twilight my young padawon" He said this which i will share with all the world:)

Dumble- becuase it is credible. because it is interesting.

Me- But it sucks! I am embarrassed! I may be mentally ill

Dumble- ahh Yes (in infinite wisdom) but what lesson does this reveal to you my little playwriting apprentice (whose play happens to be worse that stephanie meyers dreams but i would never tell you that)

Me- that form can never kill content!

Dumble- (infinately wise) Indeed.

Me- But i even read it in the shower! (no really)

Dum- just dont say that outloud


read it, you will love it , and when you feel stupid, just remember, dumbledore thinks youre okayu




My next odd obsession tomorrow

No comments: